Torkham: Torkham border crossing, which has been closed since February, is expected to reopen soon as Pakistani security officials met with tribal elders on Tuesday. According sources, the Afghan authorities have given some "positive signals" regarding the reopening of the border.
A late-night jirga was held to review the situation at the Pak-Afghan border. This development follows meetings between Afghan jirga members and officials in Kabul and Jalalabad. Sources familiar with the negotiations told human online that they remain in constant contact with the Afghan jirga, which includes tribal elders and traders.
The Torkham border crossing was abruptly closed on February 21 after disagreements between Pakistani and Afghan security forces over construction activities on both sides of the border. Tensions escalated further this month when a cross-border exchange of fire between Pakistan and Afghan Taliban forces resulted in injuries to eleven people, including six soldiers and three journalists.
During the clashes, several homes, a mosque, and clearing agents’ offices were reportedly damaged by artillery shelling, and cross-border firing continued for three days.
Following these incidents, tribal elders from both sides engaged in discussions to resolve the deadlock. Sources indicate that both parties are in contact to finalize the date and time for their next meeting, which is expected to be decisive.
For the first time since the closure, Pakistani and Afghan delegations met on Sunday, where Pakistani representatives informed their Afghan counterparts that the border would only reopen if both sides adhered to established protocols and agreements regarding any structural changes along the border.
Afghan authorities were told that Pakistan would not agree to any unauthorized construction or renovation activities at the border, as both countries had previously agreed that no additional structures would be built near the zero point.
According to sources, the Afghan side’s response during the meetings and subsequent phone conversations has been "positive." Consequently, Afghan border forces have refrained from any reconstruction or renovation of the disputed checkpoint, known on the Afghan side as "Zangali Posta."
Customs officials at Torkham reported that the border closure has resulted in daily losses of approximately $1.5 million, as exports to Afghanistan have been halted. Additionally, Pakistan has suffered losses amounting to Rs. 545 million due to the suspension of imports from Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, officials at Torkham’s Dosti Hospital stated that 70 to 80 Afghan patients cross the border daily with valid visas for medical treatment in Pakistan.
Sources remain optimistic that bilateral trade and pedestrian movement across the border will resume soon.